The Rise of the Texas Patriarch - the Fall of the Family
March 11, 2014“The Rise of the Texas Patriarch - the Fall of the Family”
There is no family business story that doesn’t involve some degree of conflict. It’s a well-known fact that the #1 reason many family-owned businesses don’t make it into the next generation is due to excessive family conflicts brought on by a lack of succession planning.
Doug’s story has to do with the staggering impact that conflict can have on a family and relationships. In addition to the story we’re about to hear, Doug will also share some of the many lessons he learned from this unhappy experience. At the end, there will be some time for questions.
Some of the key take-aways from Doug’s presentation include:
• Selling the business does not necessarily resolve family conflict; it might make it worse
• Be careful who you take advice from, as they may not be aligned with your values
• Siblings are the longest and most important relationships in life; don’t mess them up
• Asking a business owner to give up power is difficult when he/she feels like power is all they have
• Tearing your family apart over money does not create true wealth
• Do not sue family; litigation is about not an option with a family company
Click Here to view Doug's Biography »
Doug Box, Box Family Advisors
Scott O’Brien Room Mihaylo Hall CSUF
4:30pm – 7:00pm, dinner served at 5:00pm
Return to CFB Events »