Mihaylo College of Business and Economics cannot stress enough the importance of enrolling in an internship while you pursue your MBA or other business masters degree. In your first year in the program you should be thinking about what companies you would like to work with to assist with propelling your career. The Graduate Management Admission Council recently surveyed 690 companies worldwide who hire MBAs. Of the companies that hire MBA interns (62% of those surveyed), roughly three-quarters (74%) said that when they seek to hire new employees, they first interview people who have done MBA internships with them, and then open the field to other candidates. The typical company reported that half its new MBA hires in 2003 would come from its 2002 internship pool.
Center for Internships & Community Engagement (CICE)
The CICE at CSU Fullerton creates linkages between higher education, community organizations and professional offices and strives to create high quality community-based experiences that are beneficial to all involved. http://www.fullerton.edu/cice/
Internship for Program Credit
MBA students, with a finance or general concentration may be eligible to enroll the Fin495 internship. Students must be in good academic standing, classified, and have completed Fin517, Fin320 or equivalent coursework and one semester in residence at CSUF. Students with a finance or general concentration may "only" use the Fin495 internship course as an elective for program credit. This option is open as of Summer 2012; however, internships in Fin taken prior to Summer 2012 may "not" be used for program credit.
To undertake an academic internship you must first satisfy university and department prerequisites, then:
- First thing meet with your Academic Advisor in Graduate Programs (SGMH4210)
- Find an Internship site (company) through Mihaylo Career Services: click here
- Complete the necessary CICE registration procedures, and
Enroll in the appropriate academic internship course
- Print the CICE
- obtain the instructors signature
- provide a copy to the Department to obtain a permit to register, and
- provide a copy of the signed form to your Academic Advisor in the Mihaylo Graduate Programs Office SGMH4210.
- Print the CICE registration form
- Once you have all the necessary approval/signatures and have enrolled through CICE then enroll in the internship class through Titan Online (same procedures as for registering any other class).
- The internship requirements are:
- you must receive a letter grade for this 3-credit course and must complete at least 120 hours of work at your internship site (company).
Fin 495 may not be repeated for program credit.
Step-by-step instructions are also provided for each major on the Academic Internship Information Cards. All the information you will need is on the academic information card for your major. If you have questions or concerns about internships or your site (company), please contact CICE.
Internship for Professional Development (non-program credit)
MBA and business master's students must be in good academic standing, classified, and one semester in residence at CSUF. Internships (495) in Acct, Mktg, BUAD, Econ, ISDS, Mgmt, organizational leadership, entrepreneurship, risk management & insurance, and non-business may be used for professional experience but may not be used to fulfill course requirements for your Master’s program.