Step 3B - FT MBA
Mihaylo College of Business and Economics cannot stress enough the importance of enrolling in an internship while you pursue your MBA or other business masters degree. In your first year in the program you should be thinking about what companies you would like to work with to assist with propelling your career. The Graduate Management Admission Council recently surveyed 690 companies worldwide who hire MBAs. Of the companies that hire MBA interns (62% of those surveyed), roughly three-quarters (74%) said that when they seek to hire new employees, they first interview people who have done MBA internships with them, and then open the field to other candidates. The typical company reported that half its new MBA hires in 2003 would come from its 2002 internship pool.
Center for Internships & Community Engagement (CICE)
The CICE at CSU Fullerton creates linkages between higher education, community organizations and professional offices and strives to create high quality community-based experiences that are beneficial to all involved. http://www.fullerton.edu/CICE
Internship for Program Credit
FTMBA students are eligible to enroll the Fin495 internship as a program elective. Students must be in good academic standing, classified, and have completed Fin517, Fin320 or equivalent coursework and one semester in residence at CSUF. Students may "only" use the Fin495 internship course as an elective for program credit.
To undertake an academic internship you must first satisfy university and department prerequisites, then:
- First thing meet with your Academic Advisor in Graduate Programs (SGMH4210)
- Find an Internship site (company): click here
- Complete the necessary CICE registration procedures, and
Enroll in the appropriate academic internship course
- Print the CICE
- obtain the instructors signature
- provide a copy to your Academic Advisor to obtain a permit to register, and
- provide a copy of the signed form to your Academic Advisor in the Mihaylo Graduate Programs Office SGMH4210.
- Print the CICE registration form
- Once you have all the necessary approval/signatures and have enrolled through CICE then enroll in the internship class through extended education (same procedures as for registering any other class).
- The internship requirements are:
- you must receive a letter grade for this 3-credit course and must complete at least 120 hours of work at your internship site (company).
Fin 495 may not be repeated for program credit.
Step-by-step instructions are also provided for each major on the Academic Internship Information Cards. All the information you will need is on the academic information card for your major. If you have questions or concerns about internships or your site (company), please contact CICE.
Internship for Professional Development (non-program credit)
All other internships (495) in Acct, Mktg, BUAD, Econ, ISDS, Mgmt, organizational leadership, entrepreneurship, risk management & insurance, and non-business may be used for professional experience but may not be used to fulfill course requirements for your Master’s program.
Questions about non-program credit internships should be directed to your academic advisor.